Manorville History & Culture
After years as a small farming village, Manorville owes its current name to the whims of one man. In 1844, the Long Island Rail Road opened the “St. George’s Manor” train station, making the name official with a sign and everything. However, Seth Raynor—station agent, Revolutionary War Captain, and enterprising vandal—bristled at St. George and its association with the British monarchy. So he simply painted over that part, leaving only “Manor.” With the LIRR seemingly stumped about how to change it back, or else totally cool with the edit, the name lasted until Manorville was officially adopted in the early 20th century. But time has softened the hamlet’s rebellious spirit, contributing to the overall quiet atmosphere of Manorville today. This gradual change has made way for leisurely pursuits like golf while also allowing for attractions of the rural variety, including multiple petting zoos.