History & Culture
Originally called Ketchaponack (“place where large roots grow”), Westhampton and parts of Westhampton Beach were extracted from the Shinnecock Indian Tribe for little more than 70 British pounds and awarded to Southampton Town in 1666 in a deal known as the Quogue Purchase. Three centuries later, Westhampton played an unexpected role in Cold War history, as its woods hid 56 nuclear-tipped missiles in the 1950s — the last line of defense against any potential Soviet attack. The missile base was decommissioned in 1964. Today’s excitement is more traditionally suburban, with tons of opportunities to improve one’s serve. The Eastside Tennis Club on Montauk Highway has a dozen private, lighted courts, while across the village line, the Westhampton Beach Tennis & Sport Club offers 28 more courts. The smaller Aspatuck Tennis Club has nine.